Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Second Thoughts???


So my boyfriend seems to think I'm biting off more than I can chew. And the more I let my new experiment sink into my head, the more scared I get. Because yes, I'd already thought of high fructose corn syrup and a lot of what that means (at least what I think what that means). Damn, I typed "a lot" again. I don't even realize! Maybe I should try to give up "a lot" before I give up corn.

My bf, being the nice guy that he is, pointed out that there's all these corn derivatives out there, like xanthum gum. Crap. Hmmph. This from the guy who is in the middle of a cleanse right now. I think someone is just hungry and trying to bring me down.
So not only do I have to look for the word "corn" on labels but now I have to get a chemistry degree to figure out what chemicals have corn in it! Do artificial colors have corn in it? Not that I feel like I eat a lot, errrm, many artificially colored foods, but I'm sure there are some that sneak into there.
This experiment is already reminding me of one of my very favorite movies, Mean Girls, specifically the scene where Regina George (Rachel McAdams) is at the lunch table asking Katy Heron (Lindsay Lohan) what foods have carbs in it. I'm going to be the girl sitting there asking Adam, and anyone else who will listen to me (or just pretend to, as I think the case with him may sometimes be) if this has corn in it or not. Maybe I'll lose weight. "I only want to lose 3 pounds" (Mean Girls quote....if you havent seen Mean Girls its a must. Soooo much like Food, Inc). Maybe I'll shed those last few corn pounds. Maybe I'll discover the cause of American obesity!
Actually I think some people have already cited high fructose corn syrup as one of the causes. Maybe I'll start a new diet plan! I'm energized! I haven't begun yet! I just had coffee!
Sounds like its going to be a fun year!!!!
Fudge nugs, this is going to be hard.
-Jess

1 comment:

  1. Jess, you should check out www.marksdailyapple.com

    He is a big proponent of going corn free. After I became involved in CrossFit, I became interested in their nutrition programming (paleo-zone). I gave up grains for lent and it made a world of difference. I have since received my CrossFit Nutrition certification, and become an even greater proponent of the Paleo diet. Look for corn (and grain and sugar) free recipes in my soon to debut site; www.crossfitress.com

    Good luck, I know you can make it a year!

    ReplyDelete