Wednesday, August 12, 2009

One Last Hurrah


So I've been M.I.A. for the past few days, which probably isn't the best practice when you're just starting a blog, but I had to get away for a few days with my beloved corn. Yes, beloved. See I've been sitting on this experiment for about a week now, and as I've said before, there's many a food today that has the good ole kernel in it. And the more I think about, the more research I do, the more I realize that corn and its assorted parts are all over the freakin' place. So I ran away with corn for a "hominy-moon", if you will (and we will) to Charleston, South Carolina where I ate corn in its many various reincarnations. I ate cornbread, I ate BBQ sauce that I'm sure had some high fructose corn syrup in it, I ate fresh corn, and I even had a brunch that consisted entirely of corn in the forms of peach corn cakes with a side of grits.

If corn and I were going down, we were going down in flames, baby.

See that cornbread in the basket? When that cornbread was brought up to our table and served to Adam and I, it was like being presented with someone's beautiful new baby in a bassinet. I just wanted to ooh and ahh at it, tickle it under its chin, tell it I loved it. Okay, its weird, I know, but cornbread is good. Reallll good. And though I don't get cornbread as good as THAT, really, ever, outside of Charleston (based on personal experience - no offense to cornbread masters out there), I won't be eating cornbread of any variety for the next year, so that cornbread looked insanely perfect.

Anywho, I'll try to keep the cracked out corn comments to a minimum. But its day 1 (as of an hour or so ago) so I must warn you, there are probably lots (Scratch that "many" more to come).

So yes, I had a last tango in Charleston with El Corno. And it was good. Grand, in fact. But it was along I-95 in the few 3G areas between Charleston and Charlottesville, that I learned the terrible news about some things that almost seem like necessities in my day to day. Namely, gum. Yes, no more gum for me for the next year. Shiotttt. It looks like I might be brushing my teeth more than usual for a while. Which is fine, I mean brushing is better than chewing, even if it is sugar-free. And my jaw can use the rest.

Yes, for the next however long this lasts (umm, the year goal is getting thrown out there a little less often), I will be the cool girl carrying around awesome individual toothpaste packets likes these gems. Thank goodness, I can get a case of 1000 of them for a mere $150.

Now, hopefully toothpaste is corn-free.

More deceivingly corn filled foods to come in the next few days. Too tired tonight. Must get lots of sleep (I actually started to write corn instead of sleep...I'm already losing it!) to battle the evils of chemical corn derivatives tomorrow.

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment